CMS Stage Band Auditions
September 21, 22, 24, 25 before and after school.
Sign Up for an audition time on Mr. Forgey's office door.
Audition requirements and music will be posted on Schoology
Rehearsals: Tuesday and Thursday 7:15 AM to 8 AM
Stage Band is open to all Band instruments, and Piano, and Bass.
The Stage Band is the select Wind Ensemble at CMS. It is an advanced level ensemble where students have the opportunity to perform many styles of music including, Classical and Popular selections. It is an extension of the Coleytown Music Program and will be comprised of select CMS 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Band, Orchestra, and Chorus musicians chosen through an audition process. The purpose of this ensemble is to provide a more advanced musical experience for a greater number of CMS musicians.
- to be determined
CMS Stage Band Auditions
- September Mon 21st, Tue 22nd, Thur 24th and Fri 25th, 2015
- Before and after school
- Each student is given a 10 to 15 minute audtion time slot.
- Sign Up Sheets are on Mr. Forgeys Office Door.
- Students interested in auditioning should make sure they sign up for a time right away as there will only be one week of auditions.
- The required audition piece will be posted on Schoology by Sept 9th for each grade level in the Stage Band Folder.
- Students can also pick up hard copies of the piece directly from Mr. Forgey.
- In addition to the required piece students need to prepare a short song from their Band Book, and the Bb concert scale.
- download and have parents sign this sheet and return to Mr. Forgey
Thanks and see you at the audition.
Stage Band Information download
The Stage Band is a select honors group. Its members are expected to:
- Participate in band, orchestra, or chorus, and maintain an A average.
- Demonstrate a commitment to their instrumental studies
- Attend all rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances.
- Practice ensemble music at home
- Be on time and prepared for all rehearsals with an instrument, music, pencil, and all necessary supplies
- Demonstrate self discipline and excellent behavior
Due to the size of the ensemble, every student’s participation and commitment are vital to the group’s success. A positive attitude and good work habits are necessary to one’s personal growth and that of the ensemble.
Failure to comply with one or more of the responsibilities outlined above will directly affect the students musical experience, the success of the ensemble, and his or her standing in the group.
The instrumentation of the Stage Band will be similar to the Concert Band with the addition of the following:
- String or Electric Bass
- Drum Set (drummers will be required to play other percussion as well)
All wind instruments will be featured at times in the group and for some selections will be backed up by a rhythm section of Piano, Bass, and Drums.
The group will also perform traditional wind literature in which, at times, Piano, String Bass (doubling Tuba), and standard percussion will be used.
Listed below are the instruments that will comprise the ensemble and approximate section sizes. Of course, each year will vary based on student participation in auditions and overall music department enrollment.
CMS Stage Band
3 - 4 Flutes (preferably one player doubling piccolo)
4 Alto Saxophones
2 Tenor Saxes
1 Baritone Sax
4 - 6 Trumpets
2 French Horns
3 Trombones/ Baritones
1 String/Electric Bass
2 Piano (it is preferable that these students also play another instrument in the ensemble)
3 Percussion (doubling on Set)